Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Silk

3197948
Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in April, 2012

Silk by Rupert James is a fiction novel.

Isabelle Cissé is a budding designer who's trying to make a name for herself in the high-pressure, high-stakes world of fashion. Meanwhile, her mother, Christine Fairbrother, is one of London's best divorce attorneys who is determined to become even more prominent. Also in the mix is Victoria Crabtree, who is involved with a garment manufacturer and dreams of being the man's wife instead of just his mistress. These three women don't know it, but their lives will soon intersect with interesting -- and deadly results ...

This book sort of reminded me of a Jackie Collins novel. It has all sorts of characters doing all sorts of devious things against the backdrop of the world of fashion, which isn't as glamorous as it first appears.

At first, you don't think that these three women have much in common, other than Christine and Isabelle being mother and daughter, and Isabelle and Victoria both being involved in fashion, but James manages to bring them together. I liked Christine's character the best, and I found the scenes detailing her work as a divorce attorney to be interesting. Both Isabelle and Victoria came off as spoiled, but that was in keeping with their characters/personalities.

However, the characters are a little run-of-the-mill. Christine is divorced herself and has just started dating again; Isabelle gets sucked into some bad behavior/situations; and Victoria is always scheming something.

I also thought the story was a little slow in the beginning, but it picks up after the characters start meeting and interacting. There are also a couple of subplots that get resolved quickly or don't really seem to go anywhere, like Isabelle's drug use.

Overall, this book didn't quite work for me, but if you are interested in fashion, you may want to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silk.