Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Shadow Bound

Book: Shadow Bound

Author: Rachel Vincent

Series: Unbound #2

Genre: Urban fantasy

Summary: Kori Daniels is a shadow-walker, which means that she can journey from one shadow to another. That skill, along with others, makes her valuable to the Tower syndicate, but Kori has spent weeks being tortured after her boss, Jake Tower, was shot while she was protecting him. Jake tells Kori that the only way to save her sister, Kenley, from being tortured the same way is to lure the mysterious Ian Holt into signing with the Tower syndicate. Ian has a power that Jake and every other syndicate leader is eager to get their hands on. Kori doesn’t like it, but she agrees to do whatever it takes to get Ian to sign on the dotted line. What she doesn’t know is that Ian is on a mission as well — to kill Kenley, who binds people into Tower’s service …

First line: If you live in the dark long enough, you start to forget what light looks like.

Cover thoughts: A nice cover that gives the reader a hint at the dark atmosphere of the story.

What I liked: The characters. Vincent alternates the chapters between Kori and Ian’s first-person points of view, which I thought was a really cool way to show each character’s thoughts and inner turmoil, as well as their changing emotions and loyalties. Both Kori and Ian have baggage, and they both struggle to come to terms with their pasts — and how they are supposed to betray the other in the future. The world building was also interesting, with the idea of shadows as a form of magic and a person’s blood having all sorts of power over that person.

What I didn’t like: The pacing. The book read a little slow, especially the first few chapters, and it takes quite a while for Kori and Ian to realize what the other is up to. I wish there had been more action throughout the book, but especially in the first few chapters.

Overall: An entertaining urban fantasy that should appeal to those who like a mix of action, magic, and romance.

Would I read this author again: Yes. I thought the characters and world building were interesting, and I’m looking forward to reading more by Vincent.

My grade: C+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Bound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Syndi (new)

Syndi Looks like you are on a role with your reading!

Jennifer Estep I wish I had more time to read.

message 3: by Syndi (new)

Syndi Don't we all?
But, at least you occupy another big part of your time with something equally amazing which is writing books for others to read!

Jennifer Estep Thanks! That's so nice of you to say. Hope you are enjoying my books.

message 5: by Syndi (new)

Syndi The Elemental Assassin series is definitely one of my all-time favorites! My friend and I are always talking about it! It's nice when you read a series that has new ideas that you haven't really seen before. It gets a little boring when what you read is just a copy of someone else's work no matter how amazing it might be.

Jennifer Estep Thanks! Glad you and your friend are enjoying the series. I appreciate all the nice words about the books. There are also several free short stories on the Excerpts page of my website if you haven't checked those out yet. Happy reading.