Anne's Reviews > Americus

F_50x66
Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: comic-books
Read in January, 2012

I really enjoyed this. Yes, it's a drastically oversimplified version of the library reconsideration of materials process, and yes, the angry religious parents trying to ban a fantasy series from the town library are entirely one-dimensional. I also take issue with the librarian who claims to have personally read every book in her library (I am a librarian, and I doubt I'm in a double-digits percent on that one). However, I do not take issue with how awesome the librarian character is, or the geeky-sweet mentor-ish relationship she has with the main character - a smart, awkward, book-loving 14 year-old named Neil. I'm not sure how this book would go over with an actual teenager, but for me it was total comics comfort food, especially the scenes where the cool older kid introduces Neil to punk music for the first time and the montage of teachers' first day speeches to new high school students. It's not particularly challenging or complex, but it is really sweet and full of extremely likable people. Very gentle values-reaffirmation reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Americus.