Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > Stand By Me

Stand By Me by Neta Jackson

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: christian, little-no-romance

I've heard of the Yada Yada books, but I've never read any of them. Apparently, there are several different series, all revolving around the same Prayer Group. Stand by Me is the first book in the new series, Souled Out Sisters. The Yada Yada Prayer Group is still going strong, and it looks like some of the same characters are still around, but with some new ones added in, too.

Religion also plays a huge part in this book, so if you don't care to read "preachy" books, you might not care for this series. I don't mind them at all, so I very much enjoyed the little lessons throughout! Reading this book actually came at a great time! I feel like maybe this book was placed in my path for a reason. I always read fiction for entertainment. I save non-fiction for those areas that need improvement. But, when a fiction book gives me much needed lesson, I consider it icing on the cake.

Avis and Kat are the leading ladies of Stand by Me. To be honest, I found both of them a bit annoying. About halfway through, I realized....they're real. If someone were to write a book about me, I guarantee you would be annoyed by me frequently! So, Jackson has done a wonderful job of creating real, imperfect characters who struggle just like the rest of us.

Overall, Stand by Me was a fun read that I greatly enjoyed. As much as I'd love to play catch up and read all the other books, I have to admit that there's so many, I find it a little bit intimidating to attempt reading ALL of them. I was never lost in this one, though. I imagine I could pick up any of them, and I would still enjoy it!

*A huge thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers and B&B Media Group for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stand By Me.