Pete's Reviews > A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Metho

A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian D. McLaren

Jul 10, 08

Recommended to Pete by: Phil Hudson
Recommended for: read my review
Read in July, 2008

The highly scrutinized, non-self-proclaimed manual for the Emerging Church movement.
Pros: I enjoy the thoughtful, stream of conscious, rabbit trail writing that I think McLaren feels at home with. The authors humility and personal pursuit of Christ is evident. I think that the label of "relativistic-pluralist" by some critics is harsh. He is not denouncing the fundamentals of the Gospel, instead is affirming them and encouraging that we constantly grow and mature in our understanding and application of the absolutes of Scripture. He embraces the attitude that must be at the heart of everyone that considers themselves a true seeker; the assumption that as a finite person my understandings and applications of an infinite God are and never will be complete or completely accurate. Furthermore I must be willing to except that I am wrong and be willing to transform those interpretations and applications. Great footnotes in the book with additional resources. A good read for anyone interested in getting "out of the box" and having fresh thoughts about how to be a part of God's redemption of the world.
Cons: The stream of conscious rabbit trail writing would probably drive some people crazy. The often harsh response to the book by some established evangelical leaders of our day should be both encouraging and should be headed for the wisdom that God has given those leaders. I think less mature readers could read between the lines and form many non-Biblical attitudes and applications from the writing. (Something that would be reflective of their immaturity and not the authors intentions.)
Final Words: A laid back mature read that makes you want to go for a hike or share a cup of coffee with the author. I will definitely be referencing this book in my life and work in the future. Enjoy with caution!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Generous Orthodoxy.