Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > Shakespeare's Lady

Shakespeare's Lady by Alexa Schnee

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: adult, clean
Read in February, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this book! It was another one that arrived in my mailbox as a surprise. I opened it up to read a few pages, and completely got sucked into the story! What I didn't realize at first was that the whole book centers around adultery. Almost everyone in the book is committing adultery in some way or another. That's just not something I approve of, so I generally don't read stories like that.

The story mainly centers around Emilia Bassano and the possibility that she was Shakespeare's mistress. So, we read about two married people falling in love, and not with their spouses. Again, I just don't approve of that, and it was hard to read about at times. MOST of the book was based on actual events, though. There's also lots of sexual references, but Alexa NEVER writes any details. It is a very clean book, which I really appreciate. I would NOT label it as Christian fiction, though.

Now that I have that part out of the way, I did very much enjoy the rest of the story. I actually LOVED this book other than all the adultery. I was shocked to find out that it was written by an 18 year old! This girl has got talent!!

Just in case you're like me, and didn't really retain a whole lot of history information, Shakespeare's Lady takes place in England during the late 1500s, early 1600s. Queen Elizabeth I(Anne Boleyn's daughter) was reigning at that time, and she does play a very big role in Shakespeare's Lady. I really enjoyed all the historical detail, and I'm not really a big history fan. Alexa has created a beautiful first novel, and I can't wait to see what else she pens!

*Content: "D***" is used once, and "A**" is used once. That's it as far as profanity. I think God's name was used in vain once(Thank G**). As I mentioned above, while there's definitely lots of sexual references, it's done very tastefully, and never any details. If the whole adultery part doesn't bother you, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Honestly, though, I have no intentions of reading anymore "adultery" books. On another note, I wouldn't really label this book as a romance. It's very light in that department.

*I received an ARC from Summerside Press in exchange for my honest opinion.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare's Lady.

Casey I wouldn't qualify it as CF either. But the way I looked at it, is that was history, it was the way they lived and she did show it very tastefully. It kind of left me mixed emotions--it feels like it leaves it open for interruption, wouldn't you say??

Bluerose's  Heart It definitely left me with mixed emotions! I've read a couple other books during this time period, and even though I really liked them, I didn't get the full picture of how life was at that time. I did with this book, and while I didn't like that lifestyle, I did like getting a good look at the true time period. I completely agree with you! :)

Casey Same here! Good way of putting it. She walked a really fine line of making it seem totally glowing and perfect and just plain dark. I think it's one of the reasons I kept on reading and reading. ;-)