Jennie's Reviews > The Alchemy of Forever

The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, thinkers, young-adult, favorites
Read on January 27, 2012, read count: 1

Compelling. Literally. I actually felt like something was forcing me to keep reading; I couldn't have put it down if I wanted to. From the first couple pages I was hooked--I gobbled up Seraphina's story like it was my job. I thought it was well written, and Williams really made it easy for readers to get inside Sera's mind and keep up the tension and pace throughout the novel.

I enjoyed the idea of reincarnation as it was presented here. It was fresh, and I liked that Sera was actually thinking about the situations she was in thoroughly (most of the time) instead of acting like a selfish, lovestruck teenager. Maybe she was acting like this, but the author had a way of presenting it to make it seem acceptable.

The characters were lovable and unique, with the exception of Cyrus, Sera's abusive immortal boyfriend. But even he had his sweet moments, in the beginning.

The only problems I had were the obvious stupidity of the heroine at the end the MAJOR cliff hanger, an obvious ploy to keep readers on the edge of their seats until the arrival of the next installment: a ploy that I fell for, hook, line, and sinker.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemy of Forever.

T.J. The book, the concept, the plot, the characters, all amazing. It was the pace that threw me off. Rush, rush, rush. The whole book was way too fast-paced. I wanted it to slow down. The end was the quickest part. First shes gonna kill herself, then Cyrus is dead, then he's not dead, then he's with Sera's present boyfriend, oh yeah and then 'the end.' I just wish the author would have taken her time. Included more adjectives, more descriptions, more feeling. If it wasn' tfor the love story, I probably would have never finished it. For now i'm giving it a three/five. when the next one comes out and if its accurately paced, I'll give it a five.