Sean McGinnis's Reviews > From a Buick 8

From a Buick 8 by Stephen King

M_50x66
Feb 11, 12

Read from January 27 to February 11, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I have to admire Stephen King for writing this book; writing a story about how some stories don't have a pat conclusion all tied up with a bow is a hell of an ambition. And so it's no surprise that I wasn't in love with the book; even more than some of King's later books, it tends to meander, precisely because it's not headed toward any sort of conclusion. The shifting narrator was also more of a distraction than a benefit; if the primary narrator (Sandy) had been the only narrator, I think I would have liked it more.

All in all, it was an interesting, modern take on an H.P. Lovecraft story, and for that you have to give it some kudos; nobody really does cosmic horror anymore, and now I can see why -- even a writer of King's prodigious gifts has a tough time putting words on a page that convey the horror of something so OTHER than ourselves. I imagine that's why Lovecraft mostly kept his OTHERS to horrifying glimpses, dizzying impressions, or madness-fogged rantings. King did his level best, though, and a couple of the images he created definitely put me off of dinner.

I will say that the last 20-30% (sorry, I'm on a Kindle) of the book was gripping as hell; I'm glad that I didn't drop it at the half-way mark, which I had seriously considered doing. So...I don't know, mixed scores? I'm glad I read it, but there were times when I considered dropping it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From a Buick 8.