Lena Grey's Reviews > Winter

Winter by Carol Lynne

Feb 10, 2012

Read in January, 2012

There's a Swedish proverb which states: "Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow." It fits the philosophy of Sidney Wilks and Graham Nash's life perfectly. In 'Winter', book four in The Seasons of Love series by Carol Lynne, they have shared their joys and sorrows for most of their lives, and, although it's not always been an easy trip, it's been one filled with an unconditional love that most of us only dream of attaining.

Sidney continues to impress me with his loving, forgiving nature. He's helped so many people in the series that I was very pleasantly surprised when, in a great time of need, a stranger stepped up to help him. Karma does work and if anyone deserves to be repaid for his kindness, it is Sidney. Even after all their years together, Sidney never stops looking for ways to improve their lives together. In yet another act of selflessness, he comes upon a compromise which offers them an opportunity for a more fulfilling life.

Because of his health problems, Nash and Sidney go through several stages of learning to cope. After Nash's last brush with death, he decides that he needs to live life with more openness and give all the people in his life, Sidney included of course, as much of him as he possibly can. Eventually, he and Sidney decide to work on appreciating the time they have together rather than worrying about what they can't change, promising to love each other as much as they can for as long as they have together.

I really hate to see this series end; I'll miss Sidney and Nash and all of the other wonderful characters who were created for this series. I feel as if I've become part of their lives and would gladly call them my friends. I remain in awe of Sidney and Nash's ability to love. I think Maggie, Sidney's surrogate mother, says it best: “The way the two of you love each other is an inspiration. Look at all the people around you who have taken a chance and fallen in love. That didn’t all happen by accident. They were shown, first hand, what true love could be and decided they wanted that for themselves.” Once again, Carol, I thank you for this stirring and optimistic series. I encourage anyone with a romantic spirit and a belief in unconditional love to read and be inspired by this series.

NOTE: This book was provided by Total-E-Bound for the purpose of a review on QMO Books.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter.