JChipol's Reviews > Rupture

U 50x66
Jan 27, 2012

liked it
Read from January 27 to February 03, 2012

Detective Inspector Lucia May investigates a school shooting, and as she investigates the assumed 'text book case' she realises that she has sympathy for the assailant. As DI May discovers, the murderer was mercilessly bullied and she realises that others have to take part in the blame. Sadly her superiors do not agree.

Two parallels run alongside the case: a young boy, at the same school, is bullied and beaten to the point of committing suicide. At the same time, DI May is being sexually harassed in a very male environment in the police force.

As someone who has worked as a teacher for years, I can see how bullying of staff is often swept under the carpet and not taken as seriously as bullying of children. As a female who has also experienced sexism in the workplace by male bosses, I can also sympathise with DI May's struggles to be taken seriously, however, the book leaves me with a hopeless sense of disappointment that nothing is truly resolved.

I know real life is sometimes like this, but I felt that in reality bullying is often a lot more subtle and hard to prove. No bully worth his salt would give DI May proof in the form of an envelope of pubic hair. It is often more subtle, more emotional, jokey and difficult to prove.
Likewise, the bullying of the teacher was driven by a 2D character; a stereotypical bullying PE teacher. It's not that I've not met characters like him, it's more that there was no subtlety to this bully. The bullies in this book just didn't seem clever enough- most bullies are extremely sly.

Ultimately though, I wanted some form of resolve, which this book did not give me. The world is grim, and though I hate unreal happy endings which are untruthful and idealistic, I also know that there are small glimpses of help out there. Small words of support, unions, child support, parental engagement, line managers; anything but this bleak emptiness of helplessness.
It was far too depressing for me in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rupture.