Sara's Reviews > Zombies Don't Cry

F 50x66
Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, children-young-adult
Read from January 27 to February 08, 2012

Ok, so I will admit I don't read a lot of young adult books, nor do I ever read zombie books. I only read this based on the opinion of my equally-book-loving friend. I'm pretty sure this is how out conversation went:

Friend: So I'm reading this great zombie book, its awesome!
Me: Yeah, I don't do zombies.
Friend: I know! Me neither! But its SO good!
Me: K, I'll think about it.

And low and behold, one week later it was a free ebook, so I say what the heck and give it a try. Turns out I LOVE it!!! Its a great book!

When I think young adult paranormal, I just picture what I read when I was younger-cheesy, sappy, paranormal "romance" and whatnot (RL Stine, anyone? And yes, I realize this TOTALLY shows my age). I would like to thank Rusty Fischer for NOT being one of those writers (oh, young adult horror, how far you have come!). The characters are very well written with an actual plot (woo!). The main character, Maddy, is a lot of fun to have as a narrator. She's not your typical angsty, hopeless romantic kind of teenager. She funny, and best of all, snarky. I love her! I think we have a very similar personality, though whether that means she's really mature for her age or I'm really immature for mine, who knows, let's not debate that. I must also add that this is the ONLY writer who has ever managed to tap into my pure, unadulterated love for (parentheses). (Hey, if the stage can have an aside, books can have parentheses.) In fact, I found that the writing was SO good that the only way I could tell this novel had been written by a 40-something-year old dude was when Maddy at one point referred to her "panties." (For the record, "panties" is a total guy word, to us chicks they're just underwear.)

Now...to sum up the plot, high schooler Maddy inadvertently becomes a zombie and along with her partners-in-crime (Chloe and Dane-the super-hot unalive guy) must save her town (and her potential boyfriend) from the Anarchy of the Undead (my words, not Mr. Fischers-but who woulda thunk that the Sex Pistols got it wrong) in the form of Zerkers Dahlia and Bones, and their henchmen(women?)Maddy's best friend Hazel and Ms. Haskins, the sultry home ec teacher (and you always thought home ec was taught by grannys!)

If you're looking for an entertaining read, one loved by zombie-loving and non-zombie-loving fans alike, or want to get into the genre, this book is for you. Though I may never be able to bring myself to read zombie books by any other author, I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of Maddy's story (there has to be a sequel--let's face it,ladies and gents, being undead for the rest of eternity, she'll have some time to kill and stories to tell).

So find a nice place to kick back, relax, have a bowlful of raw brains and a super-caffinated beverage, and enjoy the show... (You stay classy, Zombie Horror Novel writers.)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Don't Cry.

02/07/2012 page 292