Megan's Reviews > Shakespeare Bats Cleanup

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: english-420
Read on February 04, 2012

POETRY CATEGORY
To be honest, I wasn't really expecting to like this book very much. But I actually did! I thought it was rather ingenious how the author had Kevin (a 14-year-old boy who begins to write poetry after becoming bedridden from getting mono) take us all through his process of coming to love poetry. He first starts writing after he became sick and received a marbled black and white notebook from his dad to pass the time. He realizes that the things he is jotting down run down the middle of the page "like poetry." Eventually, after sneaking a book about poetry from his dad's office, he experiments with the different forms. He eventually learns the value of poetry and its place in his life. As it helps him to express his feelings and connect with and remember his mom who passed away, I found myself getting emotional. I thought this was a really honest approach to discussing poetry. I'm actually going to be a teacher and I think it would be perfect to use this book in classes to teach about poetry. The subject matter is made up of feelings and situations to which the students can relate. It was a really quick, humorous, and meaningful read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare Bats Cleanup.