VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Jan 27, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy
Read in January, 2007

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.

Christina :D
Have you seen the Ghibli adaptation?

message 2: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jan 27, 2012 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

VampireNovelFan Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite movies, rofl. I have the DVD AND the Soundtrack! I saw the movie and then read the book. I actually don't remember that much about the book, but I feel like I liked the movie more. I just saw that someone listed it and I was like "Oooh yeah!" I also bought the book's sequel but it had new main characters so I didn't read it, lol. I don't even know where that book is now, lol.

message 3: by Nevey (new) - added it

Nevey Does it have a 2nd part?
I want to read it really bad but want to make sure I have every little book related to it.

VampireNovelFan It actually has 3 books. Sophie and the gang supposedly return in the 3rd book. Woohoo!

message 5: by Nevey (new) - added it

Nevey Okay, Thank God I did not bought them yet.
Love this series.

VampireNovelFan Have you seen the movie too? Normally I prefer the Japanese with subtitles, but I really loved the English dub. Christian Bale is Yum-my!

message 7: by Christina (last edited Jan 27, 2012 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina Howl and Sophie are in the 2nd book as well. ;)

It's one of my all time favorite movies too!<3 Plus it's how I took an interest in anime and manga.

VampireNovelFan They are?! I didn't read the book this whole time because I didn't think they would be. Now I gotta fish it out! Thanks!

I've been an anime/mange fan since the 90s though, haha. I'm talking Sailor Moon when I was 10 (I'm now 26). I'll have to share a bunch of great series with you when I have the chance.

message 9: by Christina (last edited Jan 27, 2012 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "They are?! I didn't read the book this whole time because I didn't think they would be. Now I gotta fish it out! Thanks!

I've been an anime/mange fan since the 90s though, haha. I'm talking Sa..."

Yes, please do!
I watched Sailormoon (and One Piece) when I was a kid and I loved it. :)
Mamoru was my first fictional crush, I believe.
Though there wasn't much of a market here in Greece for anime/manga until fairly recently. The big bookstores are bringing more and more manga so that's cool.

VampireNovelFan That's good but I'm actually starting to get out of anime now, though I still have attachment to it in some forms. I was actually a Kunzite fan, haha. Though in the english version he is called Malachite and his lover Zoicite was voiced by a woman. I seriously had no clue until I was a teen. I felt SO betrayed, haha.

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "That's good but I'm actually starting to get out of anime now, though I still have attachment to it in some forms. I was actually a Kunzite fan, haha. Though in the english version he is called M..."

Yeah, the gender-flipped voices can be confusing at first, lol!

VampireNovelFan Christina wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "That's good but I'm actually starting to get out of anime now, though I still have attachment to it in some forms. I was actually a Kunzite fan, haha. Though in the englis..."

They voiced it by a woman specifically to throw off that they were a gay couple. They didn't want to expose young children to that here.

message 13: by Christina (last edited Jan 27, 2012 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "Christina wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "That's good but I'm actually starting to get out of anime now, though I still have attachment to it in some forms. I was actually a Kunzite fan, haha. T..."

Wait, they changed his gender just by voicing him as a female? Huh? How?

VampireNovelFan Yup. They used a female voice actor and referred to him as "her" and "she". Being kids, we didn't know the difference since he had a ponytail and sounded like a woman.

message 15: by Christina (last edited Jan 27, 2012 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yup. They used a female voice actor and referred to him as "her" and "she". Being kids, we didn't know the difference since he had a ponytail and sounded like a woman."

That was a freaking bizarre course of action in any case. They basically changed the character and the relationship between the two. Censors can have some really skewed priorities. I bet they did the same here with the dubbing. -_-

VampireNovelFan Christina wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yup. They used a female voice actor and referred to him as "her" and "she". Being kids, we didn't know the difference since he had a ponytail and sounded like a woman."

T..."

Yup. That really screwed with my head as a kid, lol.

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "Christina wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yup. They used a female voice actor and referred to him as "her" and "she". Being kids, we didn't know the difference since he had a ponytail and sounde..."

LOL, I can imagine!
"But mommy, that girl has a bulge in her pants!".

VampireNovelFan Actually I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe they cut out some scenes? I just thought he was female because of the pony tail. But now that I know it's a man, his lack of boobs is very obvious, lol.

message 19: by Christina (last edited Jan 27, 2012 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "Actually I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe they cut out some scenes? I just thought he was female because of the pony tail. But now that I know it's a man, his lack of boobs is very obvious, lol."

Ah yes, the awkward moment when you revisit your childhood memories and discover the hidden themes. Been there.

VampireNovelFan Yep. I try to put it behind me. Thankfully Kim's got no surprises like that with Trent and Rachel, rofl.

Christina VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yep. I try to put it behind me. Thankfully Kim's got no surprises like that with Trent and Rachel, rofl."

I should hope not! lol!

VampireNovelFan Yeah, I guess I should knock on wood with that one, haha.