Siria's Reviews > Red Seas Under Red Skies

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Jul 17, 2008

bookshelves: 21st-century, american-fiction, fantasy
Read in July, 2008

Red Seas Under Red Skies has several flaws, some of them quite noticeable. The pacing wobbles, the two main plotlines don't quite integrate, and there are clichés in the plotting which are all the more wince-inducing when set against the inventiveness of Lynch's world-building. (Let's just say that one character's arc is obvious from the beginning and made me sigh).

That said, I still gave this five stars because it's so much fun; the prose and dialogue snap, the characters are mostly vivid, the book rollicks along like an old Errol Flynn movie, and I appreciated that Lynch is trying very hard to set up a world in which there is gender parity, increased roles/agency for women, non-heterosexual pairings are common and not remarked upon, and there are characters of all sizes and colours. It doesn't always quite get there, mind you, but the fact that he's clearly putting care into not creating another faux medieval Europe really pleases me. I have high hopes that he will improve on this book for the remainder of the series; Lynch seems to be setting up some ambitious stuff, with long-term consequences for our main characters, and the upcoming five books should be a fun read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Seas Under Red Skies.