Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > Gideon's War

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: god-awful, suspense-intrigue, winter-2011-12, thriller-suspense
Read from January 27 to February 12, 2012

Disappointing 2 Stars

As a fan of Jack Bauer and 24 I saw this blurb and immediately downloaded GIDEON’S WAR and began reading:
Howard Gordon—the longtime executive producer of the hit TV series 24—makes his fiction debut with a tale of political intrigue and international terrorism. Gideon Davis has just 48 hours to bring his rogue agent brother in—before a twisted global conspiracy turns deadly.

Gideon Davis is definitely not Jack Bauer. Davis is the polar opposite; he is a Pacifist whom believes that with enough understanding and talking, terrorists will want to stop trying to destroy the West (especially America) by killing our Culture and us. This is why the President has him as an Envoy and Advisor. On the night the UN bestows a huge award upon Gideon, an old family friend tells him that his brother, Tillman is the infamous terrorist Abu Naser. Even with the mountainous evidence Deputy National Security Advisor Earl Parker hands him, Davis is slightly skeptical. He should be; “Uncle” Paul has a hidden agenda, only known by few on the island state in South Asia where his brother is. He has 48 hours to extract Tillman before the King will order the older Davis to be killed. Gideon wrestles the damning facts of Tillman’s 360 turn-around with the Marine brother’s belief that a great nation has to do dark and ugly things.

Meantime, on a nearby gigantic deep sea rig, Kate and her men are preparing the Obelisk for the Deputy’s visit as well as watching the weather, monitoring the rig’s shaking. A huge hurricane is close and meandering toward the Obelisk. Yes, these two stories converge within the novel. How? I won’t say. The two story lines suffice the needs of the adrenaline junkie, but do not suspend disbelief enough. Gordon never explains the science or the technology of the Obelisk for the reader to feel real apprehension when Abu Naser sets his sights on the rig.

I like my action hero to be a man’s man, take no prisoners, kill ‘em before they kill him. Gideon is a bleeding heart, hand holding, singing Kumbyia, MacGyver type whose mantra “I gave up guns long ago” frayed my patience as he is ambushed, chased, shot at, and almost blown up! I wanted to throw my NOOK, what a pansy, wuss hero. But the pace never lets up; Gordon always goes back to detailed action scenes that seem unrealistic to many unless the reader enjoyed Richard Dean Anderson. It was fun fluffy tribute to MacGyver. 3 Star read for the beach or a plane ride, but I wasn’t in the sand or 10,000 feet up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon's War.

01/27/2012 page 5
2.0% "I feel much better this morning after dental work done this week! 2 Reviews done & posted ;) See you GR friends later!"
01/28/2012 page 159
50.0% "Good night and good reading :)"
show 2 hidden updates…