Sally's Reviews > Mateship With Birds

Mateship With Birds by Carrie Tiffany

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, way-too-much-sex, australian, farm
Read on April 14, 2012, read count: 1

I nearly gave this a two, because I at least finished it without skimming too much (thank you to Tara for pointing out that I'd need to skip pages 44-46 and 77-79!), but the thing is? I really didn't enjoy it. And I rate based on enjoyment, and there was zero enjoyment here. I either disliked or was entirely indifferent to every single page - although at times, near the start, I quite liked the writing. I thought, well at least it has that going for it. But not enough for me to give it any more than a 1. I have no real idea of what the point was meant to be. I finished the last page and was like, oh... that's it? *shrug* There was just... nothing. And often I like those lazy, gentle books where nothing really happens, you're just watching a bit of time in someone's life. But this one just wasn't even interesting enough for that. Not even the setting could do it for me! Most of the time it wasn't richly Australian enough to get me in from at least that angle.

I also skipped all the poems. So sue me. I read the first two lines of the first one and my eyes glazed over.

REALLY not my cup of tea. If I hadn't won this, I would never have chosen to read it of my own accord. And if a copy had still wound up in my lap, for any other reason than I'd won it, I doubt I'd have made it past those first 30 or so pages. I just wasn't made to care about any of the characters enough. I also really didn't like how 'rough' it was a lot of the time, if that makes sense. This is a book which calls a spade a spade. And sometimes, you need to call a spade a spade. But sometimes it just becomes TOO MUCH and after 500 spades you're all, geez, isn't there a nicer word for it?! I found the language way too crude on many occasions, and a lot of the time the crudeness felt gratuitous. You don't need to explain and describe every little thing. It felt like too obvious a ploy, I guess. Trying to shock or something. The result is that now I'm done reading, I feel like I need to have a shower to scrub the book away from me. Ick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mateship With Birds.

04/14/2012 page 44

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Tara Calaby I love your "way too much sex" tag. I think I need one of those :D

Sally It'd be so much nicer if I didn't need to have such a tag in the first place XD I also need something like, icky-now-I-need-a-shower ;)

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella please send me this, it sounds bad enough to make the Bad Book Exchange.

Sally LOL!! I will GLADLY let you take this off my hands, just don't hate me when it's even worse than Allison.

message 1: by Ella (new)

Ella I will have to send you my new address then!!