Mimi Smith's Reviews > On the Island

Jul 17, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in February, 2012

4 stars

If it hadn't been for my GR friends I never would have picked this book up for 2 reasons:

1)I've never enjoyed survival, on a deserted island story. This traces back to my Robinson Crusoe experience, since at 11 I found the book hopelessly dull.

2)The older woman-almost underage guy thing. It's not that I have a problem with the heroine being older, but when he's 16-18, it's a big difference. Yes, the physical relationship only began when he was almost 19, but it's not something I looked forward to here.

Now, reasons I really liked this book:

1)Surprisingly, the surviving on the island thing was actually quite interesting. The stages described during the several-years period were logical. Plus it's educational-if I'm ever stranded on an island I'll know exactly what to do.

2) The relationship between Anna and T.J. was gradual and logical, too. It's not a story about how an older woman takes an advantage of a young boy-it's a story of two people getting to know each other and falling in love, both because and despite the circumstances.

3) I think the development after the island made sense. It was bound yo be different and challenging. They weren't all alone, anymore.

I did have a bit of a problem with the constant change of POVs. I have no problem with a 1st person story, but here it shifted a lot. Plus, while I liked this book, I didn't LOVE it, for some reason. I didn't get too involved with Anna and T.J.

Some quotes...

"By then, I knew if we were ever rescued, T.J. would have to be a part of my life in Chicago. In what capacity, I didn’t know. He’d missed so much, and it wouldn’t be fair of me to take up too much of his time. The selfish part of me, however, couldn’t fathom not falling asleep in his arms or being with him every day. I needed T.J., and the thought of being away from him bothered me more than I wanted to admit."

“You weren’t supposed to fall in love,” she whispered.
“Well, I did,” I said, looking into her eyes. “I’ve been in love with you for months. I’m telling you now because I think you love me too, Anna. You just don’t think you’re supposed to. You’ll tell me when you’re ready. I can wait.”

"She wasn’t anyone’s to own – I knew that – but right then she was mine."
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana You are aware that the book is still marked as wishlist, and that you haven't rated it? *shaking head*

Mimi Smith LOL Am aware now :)
I know, I know, I'm hopeless :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Maybe you were holding an emotional distance because of the age. He is very young. How old is she?

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Ignore the question. The summary above states she is 30.

message 5: by Mimi (last edited Mar 08, 2012 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Yeah, I'm not sure it was that. The book was good, but it just didn't shout AWESOME or a KEEPER. I just didn't feel close enough to the characters. I don't know if this was because they weren't written about in depth(I think that was a part), or because I just didn't find them relatable.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) This is irrelavant but comes to mind for me regarding this book.

message 7: by Mimi (last edited Mar 08, 2012 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith LOL, I remember that movie. Wilson was a ball, right?
And I felt like I was reading SURVIVOR, THE ULTIMATE, bonus SMUT. They build their shelter, make fishing gear, kill sharks,... Really, I wasn't lying when I said I'd know what to do on a stranded island.

Of course that was greatly helped by their suitcases miraculously finding their way to them. Ueah, right.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Wilson was a ball. ;o)

Lucky break with the suitcases. Another tool needed is something to make fire.

If you want to see a movie that pushes the viewer past his/her comfort zone try Birth with Nicole Kidman. She's a widower about to get married when a little boy shows up claiming to be her reincarnated husband.

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "Wilson was a ball. ;o)

Lucky break with the suitcases. Another tool needed is something to make fire.

I remember that! There was a deal with some letters... Can't remember the ending, but I remember seeing it.

Those kind of movies aren't my usual, though. I prefer movies that aren't heavy or particularly disturbing. But, I do sometimes like to watch psychological thrillers and dramas. Depends on my mood :).