Joe Perrone Jr's Reviews > The Other Side of Life

The Other Side of Life by Jess C. Scott

Jan 26, 12

Read in January, 2012

I must preface my review by stating that I am a sixty-six year old man whose preferred genres are detective mysteries and non-fiction. Having said that, I can state categorically that I thoroughly enjoyed The Other Side of Life by Jess C. Scott.
At a time well in the future, two young girls, Anya, and her friend, Leticia, encounter a trio of elves who enlist their help in recovering an artifact and returning it to its rightful owners. In the process, Anya gets more than she bargained for when she develops a love interest in the leader of the trio, an engaging character named Nin.
I really enjoyed the way Miss Scott designed not only an elven world, but also a new language to go along with it. There are touches of “cyberpunk” and even some “Goth” along the way that combine to give the book a delightful, futuristic feel so popular with today’s young people. While the story itself is very futuristic and imaginative, the characters and their relationships are so well drawn as to be totally credible.
I think this book will appeal especially to fans of science fiction and fantasy—particularly those young people with clearly defined senses of self, who yearn for a world that is heavy on acceptance for both offbeat and non-mainstream lifestyles.
The Other Side of Life is a well thought out, beautifully crafted fantasy novel with a great plot and fully-drawn characters that are alive and engaging. It’s a book that will leave readers begging for more from this very talented writer. Congratulations, Jess, on a job well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Life.