Johanna's Reviews > Pants on Fire

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: engl420
Read in January, 2012

***ROMANCE***MEG CABOT***
I have to admit that I really enjoyed reading this book. It was ridiculously melodramatic and lovey dovey, and I was glad that I didn't have to feel guilty for reading such border-line nonsense.

This book is about Katie, one of the most popular girls in school, with the perfect boyfriend and the perfect best friend. She also has a second boyfriend, who is as equally as hot as her legitimate boyfriend, and just as good at making out. Her shallow life starts to change when Tommy Sullivan, a boy from the past, moves back to town, bringing loads of history and emotional baggage with him.

This book keep me reading for two reasons:
1.) Cabot kept the secrets about Tommy and Katie's pasts/relationship secret until the very end, dropping hints here and there throughout the entire novel as to what really happened back in 8th grade. I was annoyed/fascinated with the mystery, and I had to reading to find out what had happened.

2.) This book embodies one of the typical teenage-girl fantasies: having two boyfriends with whom to make out with but don't force you to go further, being part of the in-crowd, having a steady, well-paying job, good looks, and even better grades. At the same time, Katie also has thoughts and dreams, and might actually enjoy discussing those thoughts and dreams in between make out sessions. Girls may or may not envy Katie, but they will certainly envy her connection with Tommy Sullivan, which is basically all a girl could ever ask for in a guy (if you want to hear over and over and over again about how hot he is, start reading this book now!!!!)
Despite the suspense and the fantasy, I can't say that I will ever recommend this (dare I say) trash to any of my students. There is much better literature out there for young adults, with better writing and more complexity. I hope to challenge my students, and I don't think this book will do the trick. It is purely a "for fun" and a "What if?" book that I will secretly read, and possibly hand to certain reluctant female readers that I may have in my class, but that is as far as this book will go in my library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pants on Fire.