Carisa Burns's Reviews > Before I Go to Sleep

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2012

Phenomenal story from start to finish. Kept me reading through breakfast, lunch, dinner and sleep. I knew from the beginning that there was something going on that was not just the typical, clinical amnesia story. I never expected the twist in the storyline though. I love to be surprised and this one did it for me. The main female character has amnesia and doesn't know if she can trust her husband who she wakes up seeing as a stranger every morning, so she keeps a journal to try and figure her life out. This leads her down a very crazy path. Talk about rediscovering yourself.....geez, no one does it like she did!

The way the journal entries were written really gave me the sense that I was in this woman's head and I loved being able to see everything from her perspective. I did find myself skipping the very beginning of some of her entries since they were repetetive when she was rereading things that had already happened to her. However, I can see how it was absolutely necessary to include them in the novel so that the reader has an understanding of what and when she is reading or writing in her journal. Even though the story was told through her journaling much of the time, the action in the plot did not falter. I found myself so engaged and could not wait to find out where this was all leading. Her husband really bothered me throughout the whole book. I couldnt understand how he was so nonchalant about her whole situation and why she did not have any friends or family that visited her. Still....my suspicions never led me to figure out the truth and the conclusion was unpredictable and exciting.

This is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time and that means alot coming from me. It is very hard for me to find new reads that are original and exciting and creative...something that doesn't seem to have been done before or that follows a certain predictable protocol of some sort. This book was it. Good job S.J. Watson. Keep them coming!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go to Sleep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie I can feel your excitement from the book just reading the review! You seem revved up! That's exactly how I felt after finishing it....I couldn't sleep and finally gave up, got up and finished the book at 4 in the morning. Great ending that didn't seem made up at the end. Once you knew it, you could look back and see it all along, but when reading the book, you never saw it coming. Great Review, thanks for sharing :-)

Carisa Burns Thanks Connie! I'm so glad you loved it too. I get so excited when I find a book that is so amazing I practicallly stop living my life to get to the end of it. Haha! I loved it.