Katie's Reviews > Kafka on the Shore

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Jan 18, 13

Read from January 26 to February 04, 2012

Wow. I'm not sure what the right words are to describe this book. Well, I know I don't have the words to describe what this book did for/to me, so I don't think I'll try.

That being said, this book was written as if a dream was on paper. And after a while it starts to feel like your dream. Everything in this book is a metaphor, just like in the book it says that everything in life is a metaphor. I haven't ever read a book, especially fiction, that was this....profound. Besides Steppenwolf, and I think this surpasses it.

I don't want to go with the "life changing" cliche, but I will say that life is...different while reading it. Like your getting a peek at something not everyone gets to see. I feel like I need to read this book over and over because all the answers to everything are probably in there somewhere. And the more I read the more sure I was that Murakami is a genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kafka on the Shore.

Quotes Katie Liked

Haruki Murakami
“Listen up - there's no war that will end all wars.”

Haruki Murakami
“Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. There's no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up into the sky like pulverized bones. That's the kind of sandstorm you need to imagine.

An you really will have to make it through that violent, metaphysical, symbolic storm. No matter how metaphysical or symbolic it might be, make no mistake about it: it will cut through flesh like a thousand razor blades. People will bleed there, and you will bleed too. Hot, red blood. You'll catch that blood in your hands, your own blood and the blood of others.

And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about.”

Haruki Murakami
“Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back. That's part of what it means to be alive. But inside our heads - at least that's where I imagine it - there's a little room where we store those memories. A room like the stacks in this library. And to understand the workings of our own heart we have to keep on making new reference cards. We have to dust things off every once in awhile, let in fresh air, change the water in the flower vases. In other words, you'll live forever in your own private library.”