T. Greenwood's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

1924043
Feb 23, 12

Read in February, 2012

When I was seventeen, one of my best guy friends got leukemia. It was our senior year, and while the rest of us were preparing for the beginning of our lives, Casey was forced to face the possible end of his own. The entire summer after graduation, I spent every afternoon when I got home from the summer job my dad got me at a local bank at his house. I can barely remember what we did or said to each other anymore. But it is with terrific fondness and sadness that I remember that time of my life. We weren't boyfriend/girlfriend, but there was a tremendous intimacy that developed between us on those summer afternoons.

This novel captures all of that and so much more.

Hazel and Augustus are precocious and funny and sick. Green manages, somehow, to avoid sentimentality in a book about dying. (Hazel might say, "Sentimentality is a side effect of dying.") As Hazel and Augustus fell in love with each other, I fell in love with both of them.

In the fall, Casey and I went off to the same college. Casey was in remission, but our friendship, like so many high school friendships faded into a blurry remnant of our respective pasts. And then two years after I had moved across the country for graduate school, my best friend called to tell me that he had died. I remember feeling like someone had punched me in the throat.

This book left me with the same feeling: a vivid choking reminder to cherish your life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle Wow, this book must've been really heart-wrenching for you. I can't imagine. It was so emotional anyway, without having your background. I loved this book too. I'm so sorry about your friend.

message 2: by T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T. Greenwood Oh thanks, Michelle. I'd always thought about writing about that summer...but I don't think I could do anything that would match this. What a fantastic book. Just stared Girlchild...have you heard about it?

Michelle I haven't - is it a good one?

message 4: by T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T. Greenwood So far! It reminds me a bit of Bastard Out of Carolina.

message 5: by PJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

PJ So far I'm loving this but am having to take frequently tear breaks.

message 6: by PJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

PJ PS thank you for sharing your story about Casey.