Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > The Sunday Philosophy Club

The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith

3920693
Jan 26, 12

Read in May, 2008

Rating: 3.5* of five

The Book Report: Isabel Dalhousie is a quiet, contented woman. She's got all the money she will ever need, she lives in a comfortable home where she grew up, she has survived the ghastly experience of loving a rotten man. She edits the Review of Applied Ethics because she's a philosopher, and because she's extremely interested in the subject of ethics (see above re: rotten man), and because she doesn't need any money or want any fame.

It's a quiet life. Then Isabel sees a murder.

It's not obvious that it's a murder. Isabel is morally certain that it is. So she sets out to figure out what led to the unnatural death of a virtual stranger.

Because if she can, she believes she should. ...!!...

My Review: I can't help myself: I fell in love with Isabel Dalhousie. Not to take anything away from my existing wife, a lovely woman (for legal purposes), or my boyfriend (now ex, so maybe I should edit this out...nah, he's still a nice guy), but Isabel is just like your dream of a roommate: Quiet, considerate, intelligent, rich, and honest.

Reading this book is like putting on soft, warm socks, a fluffy robe fresh from the dryer, and settling into your leather wing chair under your reading lamp with a scotch and a beloved friend to talk to.

If that sounds good to you, read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sunday Philosophy Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Bought this one and have it in my on deck circle based on your good word.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways ...I am having such cognitive dissonance right now I cannot even begin to describe it...you reading this book...who loves the gore-and-grue crew...

For that day when you're desperate for a quiet moment. I expect this will appeal immediately or never, so don't be afraid to put it right down. Alternatively, you could end up buying them all. No in betweens, I bet.

Gheeta So far I'd say I'm immediately sucked into the story. Hope it stays that way. Love your review....Yes, I'm looking for somewhat cozy but not quite brain candy.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Gheeta wrote: "So far I'd say I'm immediately sucked into the story. Hope it stays that way. Love your review....Yes, I'm looking for somewhat cozy but not quite brain candy."

Sounds like this will be the Sweet Spot for you, then!

message 5: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Turner Great review. Thank you.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Ruth wrote: "Great review. Thank you."

I hope you'll enjoy reading the book.

Gheeta Gheeta wrote: "So far I'd say I'm immediately sucked into the story. Hope it stays that way. Love your review....Yes, I'm looking for somewhat cozy but not quite brain candy."

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Gheeta wrote: "Gheeta wrote: "So far I'd say I'm immediately sucked into the story. Hope it stays that way. Love your review....Yes, I'm looking for somewhat cozy but not quite brain candy."

The book really started dragging in the middle, but now I only have about 30 pages left. My desire to stick it out to the end is more due to the idea that quitting at this point would be rather sad and less that I'm interested in how the story ends. Unsure whether I'll hunt the net book in the series."

I fell out of love after book 3. But it was lovely while it lasted!