Tortla's Reviews > The Ill-Made Mute

The Ill-Made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

Aug 02, 08

bookshelves: dragons, thesisability
Read in August, 2008

The writing could be a bit tedious at times, but it was overall a pretty interesting read. I enjoyed the seelie/unseelie folklore-inspired things, but for some reason found the air-ships and whatnot to be kind of irritating. Also, the last sentence bugged me. I felt like it kind of undermined the characterization of the protagonist...and I realize that it was kind of inevitable but the ending still kind of disappointed me.
I can see why this book was praised as the new Lord of the Rings-type saga. But I never really liked The Lord of the Rings (couldn't even finish The Fellowship of the Ring...kind of like how I couldn't get very far in this book the first time I tried to read it....hmm).

Also, what's up with the heavy-handed vegetarianism?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ill-Made Mute.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I found this one a bit of a slog because of the style and the constant listing, but the second book is much better and smoother. Her style is somewhat unusual I found.

I'm puzzled - I don't remember any dragons in it; flying horses and ships, yes, but were there dragons as well?

Tortla Yeah I started reading this once and got incredibly bored, but I figured I should give it another shot, since it's part of a series (which apparently gets better).

P.S. "dragons" is the shelf I made for fantasy books. If it actually has dragons, it goes into "dragony-dragons."

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Ahhhh... *light-bulb moment* That's cute!

I did like this trilogy, though I was disappointed by the ending, just cause I didn't like the way it worked out, but the second book is really good.

Tortla I *finally* started reading this book. Once I got past the never-ending second chapter I started to actually kind of like it. But I keep skimming over the unnecessary list-descriptions...at least it's not as bad as Francesca Lia Block (she's in love with listing, which I guess is okay because it's part of her style but it can be really annoying to read).