JC's Reviews > Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl

Belle de Jour by Belle de Jour

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: autobiographical-fiction, chick-lit, contemporary, feminism, memoir
Read in January, 2012

I am a little bit over sexual adventuress books, to be quite honest (see In My Skin: A Memoir; The Bride Stripped Bare) but I'd always meant to pick this one up at some point, as I had seen the telly show with Billie Piper (very scarred at seeing Rose's boobs - what would the Doctor think?). One of the reasons why I liked this one much better than those other books is because Belle du Jour approached the topic and experiences with a sense of humour - Gemmell and Holden taken themselves so seriously even when they are trying to make a joke that I just find them and their approach to sex and sexuality rather tiresome. This, on the other hand, was a good-humoured (but not necessarily comic) account of a woman who makes money from doing what she loves best, and which happens to explore other sorts of issues, ideas and experiences along the way. I'm not going to rush out and read more, but I'm happy to have ticked this one off the list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belle de Jour.