Robin K's Reviews > A Mermaid's Kiss

A Mermaid's Kiss by Joey W. Hill

Feb 16, 12

Read from January 26 to February 14, 2012

A Mermaid's Kiss was different than any book I have ever read and filled with wit, charm, romance, danger and fantasy. I do not read a lot of erotic romance, in fact, just a couple of authors, so I was not sure what to expect. I even admit peeking at a couple reviews. I really built this book up before beginning. Thankfully Joey's smooth literary voice and absorbing characters quickly drew me into the story and out of my own head.

Joey's website labels the genre as "Sensual Paranormal Romance", which is a perfect description. In my opinion, the best erotic romance books need not be filled with intimate relations, but with emotions. They need to make the reader feel the intensity of the characters, their passion, desire, need and surrender. The story needs to take me on a journey with the characters both physically and psychologically. A Mermaid's Kiss is a fantastic example of the perfect blend of emotional submission and physical conquest.

The main characters are born of fantasy, myth and dreams. Legends realized in life. The little mermaid's fairy tale re-imagined in spectacular form. I truly enjoyed reliving the story, learning of the character's histories as they learned each others'. Nothing is more fun to me than watching a strong, commanding hero struggle with independently willed woman. Both characters treat each other with respect, patience and levity. They expect very little in return from one another and are completely selfless which lends to the heavy emotion of the book. I fell in love with them as a couple and was utterly torn when all seemed lost.

I have briefly mentioned wit and levity while describing the emotional turmoil and triumph in the book. I wanted to touch on it a bit more. Though not a "silly" book, by any stretch, there are definitely a few moments of innocent laughter and casual banter. I love books with some light and Joey added just enough easy moments to keep the book and the characters grounded. There is one romantic scene in particular, though not funny, that was so incredibly whimsical and surreal that I keep visualizing it and smiling. I even shared the moment with my husband, who is not a reader, but none the less became very captivated by the scene. I kept stealing blushing glances as he read. I guess Joey added a bit of romantic innocence and mirth into my life as well.

If you like books with strong stories, romance, fantasy, questing characters and a touch of epic battle, you should enjoy A Mermaid's Kiss. The characters are surprising and entertaining. The intimate moments are creative, engulfing and full of feeling. I laughed, cried, cheered and I am probably blushing again. Thank you so much Joey for your captivating tale! I look forward to reading Mina's story next in A Witch's Beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mermaid's Kiss.