Slayermel's Reviews > Dracula in Love

Dracula in Love by Karen Essex

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: ebook, female-authors, library, 2012, 21st-century, american, faeries, fantasy, fiction, historical-fiction, historical-romance, mystery, paranormal, romance, vampires
Recommended for: anyone wanting another perspective on Dracula
Read from January 26 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

I really enjoyed this story. It is a retelling of Bram Stokers Dracula but from the perspective of Mina. Apparently the true story was covered up by certain men in the story to hide their dastardly deeds. I really enjoyed the spin on the story and it made me look at some of the characters differently :0)

It really wasn’t farfetched to see women put into the rolls of the mentally imbalanced for that period of time just for having sexual cravings or feelings of lust and love. I thought it was quite interesting to see the rolls that where than given to the good Doctor and VanHelsing in the asylum, to help cure these women.

I found myself feeling sorry for the count and wanting him to come out ahead. I also found myself severely disliking Jonathan Harker and Lord Arthur.

I did find it helpful to already have an understanding of the original book while reading this one as it really caused you to think of the cover ups that took place which made this book that much more enjoyable. Karen Essex did a terrific job and I will definitely be looking into some more of her work. This book was fast paced and very hard to put down. I also really enjoyed the beautiful cover work.

This is definitely an adult piece of fiction and does contain scenes of violence, adult subject matter and explicit sexual scenes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula in Love.

01/26/2012 page 40