Emily's Reviews > The Robe

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas

Jul 09, 08

Recommended to Emily by: Jenny Baker
Recommended for: Everyone in need of something
Read in May, 2008

Life-altering.

For the first time, I feel like I have an inkling of what Christ's life was like, with whom he socialized, what he ate, saw, did, and where/and whom he taught. The relationships and accounts of Christ's sermons from fictional eye-witnesses were mesmerizng.

All of the accounts are what we've read about in the New Testament all our lives, but the fictional stories of how those teachings changed the lives of humble people in forsaken villages in a forsaken countryside made me understand how Christianity spread the world over, (regardless of the Romans trying to squelch it out) and how the influence of a few compassionate acts can slowly, quietly change mankind for generations exponentially.

Besides, the details of life in Rome, Jerusalem, and Greece--in Christ's time--were intriguing. Lloyd C. Douglas whisked me to the hills of Cana in a pair of dusty sandals and dropped down in the middle of the sunny, baren hills with an Art History professor whispering into my ear. Delicious! (Except for the dusty sandals part.)

Plus, I listened to this book on my iPod and it was nice to hear an Australian accent enacting the Greek and Roman people. The love story isn't half bad along the way either. All of the descriptions of lush Greek melon fields, sunny Roman plazas with fountains, and cool dimly-lit weavers' shops run by old out-spoken Jewish men, were bewitching. I was so sad when this book came to a bang of an end.

The characters, those who change by Christ's example even after his death, are of Attitus Finch quality. This one, I will pick up again.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Robe.

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Okay Em, the whole time I read your review of this book I had chills up and down my arms and the back of my neck. This is something I really want to read. I really think you would write an amazing piece of literature because you always use such choice words and create beautiful images. Thank you for a great recommend. I have loved all of the books I have read that you recommend as 5 stars ( although, I got too busy to Bronze B!ow before it was due back, but I will be picking it up again). You have great taste

Amelia I loved this book when I read it as a teenager. After reading your beautiful review I'm thinking I need to read it again. Thanks!

Jsmh I completely agree with this review! The fictionalized account of the experiences, lives and feelings of the people Jesus associated with - wow! It does make it all more personal. I am utterly fascinated by this book.