Micaela's Reviews > The Girls of No Return

The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin

Jan 26, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is one of those books you pick up, think "Oh, troubled girls living in the wilderness... this is just a disaster waiting to happen."

Yet you don't expect to have so many disasters, right in the middle of a camp designed for healing. Girls sneak around the rules all the time, but the characters seems to focus more on the girls Gia and Boon than anything else. The enemies run the social aspect from opposite ends, and when the main character comes between them, you experience some nasty shock value.

In a rehabilitation camp, the worst comes out when secrets, jealousy, and petty pranks are involved.

Unfortunately, the main character Lida, who is supposed to come to Alice Marshall to heal, starts it all.

This is an incredible read with some of the most original, incredibly specific figurative language that I have read in a long while. All of these girls are so well developed that while you fear them, you also understand each and every one of them.

Most of the novel you don't see coming, although the conclusion is built up in a bit of a predictable, logical way. I might have complained that this is the weak point of the book, but the scenes are done so well, with the characters so original and driven, that it's hard to see much fault in it regardless.

This isn't a simple book about healing; it's a book about healing through setbacks and betrayals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls of No Return.

message 1: by Bella (new)

Bella Yeah, I have to admit that when you were explaining the plot to me I was like, uhh, what the hell? :P it didn't necessarily make me want to read it...

Micaela but now you do! you must... along with your what, other 500 books you want to read?

message 3: by Bella (new)

Bella Hahaha, yeah definitely need to dwindle that list down... Like now :P