Bridget Hall's Reviews > The Mockingbirds

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

Jan 26, 12

The Mockingbirds By: Daisy Whitney

Setting: In Themis Academy in Connecticut, Modern Day

Summary: At the very beginning of the novel, Alex Patrick has no idea why she is in a guy’s room at her exclusive boarding school. Soon after, she realizes that she was date-raped by a boy she barley knew, Carter Hutchinson, and because Themis Academy doesn’t penalize wrongdoers, she has nowhere to turn for help. Except the Mockingbirds. They are group of students who right the wrongs done to the student body. Throughout the novel, Alex must come to terms with what has been done to her, and, with the help of the Mockingbirds, make Carter pay for what he did.

Review: I thought that this book was very good. The plot was easy to follow, and it had elements of a crime novel, love story, and coming of age tale. Having read To Kill a Mockingbird in ninth grade, and I also like all of the references to the novel that were included in the story. I think that teenagers would like this book because you can really relate to the main character, Alex, and she is dealing with a very real issue that effects people our age. I think that the book’s message was that, even though it is hard sometimes, you have to stand up for yourself and right the wrongs that have been done to you. I really enjoyed reading The Mockingbirds, and I think you will to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mockingbirds.