Ken-ichi's Reviews > iOS Programming

iOS Programming by Joe Conway

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: code, learning
Read from January 26 to February 11, 2012

Good overview. Now I feel ready to get started and build something. I may have to update this review if I find some significant gaps in my knowledge.

Note that as of Feb 2012, the second edition of this book is somewhat out of date. Many of the templates the refer to are no longer in Xcode, and recent features like Storyboards and ARC are not covered at all. I believe the 3rd ed is coming out soon, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read iOS Programming.

01/26/2012 page 112
19.0% "Good so far, as these kinds of things go. Bummer that the UI builder stuff seems to have changed drastically since this was published, but it does seem too hard to work around it."
02/02/2012 page 315
54.0% "You know, I was all excited about CoreData, since Android seems to lack an ORM entirely, but holy jesus wtf. Don't make me instantiate a NSSortDescriptor! I am used to statements like Review.all. That should not take 10 lines of code." 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ken-ichi In defense of the authors, they almost certainly did not write the markup for that description, nor did they write the Goodreads code that failed to interpret or sanitize that markup so humans could read it. Of course, now I have a librarian dilemma: do I manually remove the markup, or leave it because it's funny? Decisions!

Ettore Pasquini So you took the plunge, I see... Oh, and I filed a ticket for the description.

Ken-ichi Yes, I am plunging. So far no info on ARC either, which seems like a serious gap.

Ettore Pasquini That is weird. If I were to start a brand new app today, I'll seriously consider ARC.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy What edition do you have? they have one allegedly published in 2012.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy I think you contributed to me taking the plunge and starting to learn iOS development.

Ken-ichi Is that a good thing or a bad thing? It's good for me b/c it means I can ask you annoying questions.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy I'm not sure what you're doing, but all i've done is the tutorials here:

I used your iphone app recently and was dissapointed i still couldn't add an exisiting photo with it. Which reminds me, i need to add those coyote photos.

Ken-ichi Yeah, I'm re-writing the app in ObjC with the standard tools so adding features like that isn't such a pain. That one's high on the list, for sure.