Summer's Reviews > Clara and Mr. Tiffany

Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland

Jan 26, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, great-reads, history-non-fiction, art
Read in June, 2012

This book was recommended to me by a mentor and friend and I'm very happy I listened. This is the story behind the Tiffany lamps. Louis Comfort Tiffany was the stuttering son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, the name behind Tiffany & Co., who was always trying to surpass his father's success. Clara was the head of the "Tiffany Girls" and was the designer and speculated creator behind the idea of making a leaded glass shade for a luxury lamp. Not until 2007 were Clara's letters of correspondence discovered, did true light shine on the brilliance and creativity the Tiffany Girls had in what was previously known as JUST Louis Comfort's creation. Mr. Tiffany insisted that the "girls" working for him remain unmarried & if they chose to, they were immediately let go.

Clara also lives in a boarding house with several other brilliant artists of the time and in that vein it reminds me of the movie Midnight in Paris. One even designed Mr. Vanderbilt's Master bedroom. The book spans the life of Clara during her time working for Mr. Tiffany and highlights their personal and creative relationships. It reveals the life and times of those living at the end of the Victorian age and entering the Art Nouveau age and the changes and challenges this produced for class and sex. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend to any that are interested in the process and beauty behind stained glass, love art, and a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clara and Mr. Tiffany.