Sandy's Reviews > A Soft Place to Land

A Soft Place to Land by Susan Rebecca White

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2012

I found myself tearing up a couple times while reading this book as the love between the characters was so touching it got to me. I am normally not a softy but reading this “Goofy Ruthie, I miss you so much. Much more than Mom even, in a weird way. I mean, she’s gone. And you’re still here. Except you’re not. At least, you’re nowhere near Virden, VA. Which is great for you, sucky for me.” under the circumstances in the book, got to me. The book is about Naomi and Phil who are on vacation and they have an accident and die and they leave behind 2 daughters which according to their wills are placed in two different households. One is placed with their father and the other with their aunt. The other daughter has a hard time adjusting as she is a teenager and she rebels against her stepmother and the other daughter while not happy with the situation adjusts okay. Since they are in different households in different parts of the country their sister-relationship is strained while they are apart. The book covers the emotional ride the sisters take as they adjust as adolescents and also as they grow up into adults. Their relationships with each other and with others are affected with the loss of their parents and the writer does a great job handling this subject without getting too emotional or too vague on the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Soft Place to Land.