Heather's Reviews > The King of Attolia

2098381
Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: faves, fantasy, ya, 2012
Read from February 27 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

I was prepared to like The King of Attolia, even love it. What I wasn’t prepared for the feelings that occurred while reading it. I was constantly doused with a sense of anticipation, giddiness and frustration. It made me want to simultaneously devour this book and draw it out.

Having read predecessors The Thief and The Queen of Attolia, it’s safe to say that I was fairly engrossed in the world Megan Whelan Turner has created prior to reading this installment to her series. I have come to know the kingdoms of Sounis, Eddis and been privy to glimpses of Attolia. I’ve learned about their mythology and religion, and remained in awe of Turner’s ability to create such an intricate world filled with multi-dimensional characters. I even came to care and root for a character that I initially found arrogant and a bit annoying (I’m talking about you Eugenides). But even though Turner was able to implement all these success into enjoyable reads, I still doubted her. I doubted her because she included a romance that I couldn’t fully buy into and it wasn’t until I was mid-way through The King of Attolia that I realized that I had been had. I couldn’t believe, that I, a fairly astute reader, had been played, just as many of the characters in this series are played, and you know what? I loved it! I loved that Turner built in a plot point that would allow readers to feel exactly as so many of the characters often feel within this story, not through them, but with them. If that isn’t brilliant writing, I don’t know what is.

I’m not going to summarize the plot, the blurb and several other better reviewers than I have already done so. All I’ll say is this….Megan Whalen Turner is an author to respect, this series is one to read and re-read. These characters will engrain themselves into your heart and you will burst with pride at their successes. Everything about this series is clever, intricate and wholly entertaining. Read it, I promise you won’t be sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.

02/27/2012 page 56
14.0% "I'm loving this installment even mire than the first two!"
02/29/2012 page 205
53.0% "Its is with extreme reluctance that I set this book aside to work. Thank vati for lunch breaks. I can't wait to go home and finish!"