Eileen's Reviews > Everneath

7208929
Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult
Read from January 26 to 28, 2012

Ach! What to say about this cover? What to say about this amazing cover? I think it captures the entire concept of the book perfectly. The concept is basically that Nikki's back on the Surface, and she has sic months to say her final goodbyes before becoming an Everliving, a being that sucks the emotions from humans to stay alive, or a Forfeit, a person that lives in the Tunnels and charges the Everneath. If Nikki decides not to go to the Everneath with Cole, she becomes a Forfeit, and the Tunnels, the shadows you see in the cover, basically take Nikki.

At first, it was hard to figure out what was happening and what exactly had happened before and during Nikki's time in the Everneath, and during the story, it slowly pieced together. I wish, though, that there might have been a novella before the first book to sort of tell us what the Everneath was really like and how it came to be because only the flashbacks provided me with the right information. I think that was my problem, because I wanted to know what the Everneath was really like. But, on the other hand, I liked how the book wasn't like a prologue to the real series, and was more like the second book in a trilogy.

I really want to talk about the romance in this book, so I'm just going to say that the writing was extremely good, the plot was perfectly planned and only slightly slow during some parts, and there were so many twists and turns that kept me glued to the edge of my seat. Jack Caputo. Nikki's former boyfriend before she disappeared without a trace into the Everneath with Cole, an Everliving. When she comes back, they sort of re-develop their relationship, and it leads to a dramatic moment in the end where something completely unexpected happens.

I was completely devastated at the end because of what went down, and I need to read the second book in this trilogy. What I really like about reading trilogies is that there are a specific set of books, which makes every book meaningful and part of a bigger picture. I like series that have a specific set number because some series tend to drag out as long as they can to get some more money, and in trilogies, you only have three books—maybe more if you're talking about a series with a set number—to get the big picture across.

In the Iron Fey series, it started out as a trilogy, but Julie added another final book and then she's making a spin-off of the series. I think that's totally fine, but I don't like it when it's just one of those trilogies that has three books but is disconnected and there isn't a really big bigger picture. So what I'm trying to say is that I like books that are a part of a trilogy because it's always hardcore action and there aren't many slow parts because you only have three books—and sometimes four or five if it's a set series—to get the point across. And now I'm rambling about nothing, so I'm just going to leave on this note: this book was really awesome and I recommend it to anybody who likes paranormal romance and fantasy and YA. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.