Michelle's Reviews > Nothing But The Truth

Nothing But The Truth by Avi

Jan 26, 2012

Read in January, 2012

My 13 year old daughter was given this book as a Christmas present. She read it in 2 days (a clue that she liked it). I picked it up a few days ago and finished it quickly as well.

We had an interesting discussion about the book at dinner tonight. I was surprised by her support of the teacher character (I expected her to side with the student). We talked about how one incident can escalate into a huge problem, and how gossip can destroy people.

I admit that I didn't like Phillip very much, but I also disliked his parents and some of the school board members and administrators. But I kept reading because the situation was so real to me--I have seen people exactly like this firsthand.

Although I didn't read every review of this book, I found the negative ones interesting, especially those folks who didn't like the characters. Maybe they don't want to admit that there ARE people like that out there (all too many of them)? And since when do you have to like a character for a book to make a point? Maybe you aren't supposed to like them. To me, their flaws are what makes them real.

This was a great book for discussion with my daughter, and I'm grateful that there are writers like Avi who will write thought provoking material for this age group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing But The Truth.

11/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Mcnally I am grateful as well. It's too bad the teacher didn't have the heart to heart with Phillip before all the singing business started. She knew there were issues well before that. I relate to Phillip because the system and the family dynamic that he was compelled to function in consistently shut him down and ignored him. Over time one loses the ability to express their ideas and truth becomes irrelevant.