Mars's Reviews > Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks

Secrets of Mental Math by Arthur Benjamin

U 50x66
May 22, 2014

liked it
Read in January, 2012

The author is enthusiastic, but somehow this enthusiasm doesn't transmit to the reader. The tricks work, but I am incredibly bored by this book regardless. (might have worked better with real-life examples, but I for one am hard-pressed to think of a good real-life reason to multiply a pair of two-digit numbers in your head)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of Mental Math.

message 1: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Norton I'm amazed that you have never come across the need to multiply two-digit numbers in your head!? If not why would you bother reading the book, it's to help you perform mental arithmetic.

Mars Simon wrote: "I'm amazed that you have never come across the need to multiply two-digit numbers in your head!? If not why would you bother reading the book, it's to help you perform mental arithmetic."

I'm not complaining about the fact that the book is useless, I'm complaining about the fact that the information is presented in such an un-engaging way (at least for me) that there's nothing to tie the tricks to in my head, and so remembering and applying the rules of long division will take less time and effort than recalling one of them.