Angela's Reviews > Titan Magic

Titan Magic by Jodi Lamm

Jan 26, 2012

bookshelves: books-read, favorites, own
Read from January 26 to February 13, 2012

Titan Magic was such a wonderful and rather entertaining read. It was full of surprises, love, laughter, and heartache. It thoroughly surprised me in being as good of a book as it was. Truthfully, I didn't know what to expect from a book that featured a mute girl. I thought to myself: "How is Jodi going to write a story based on a mute girl? She doesn't talk!" Yet the fabulous Jodi did it! She created an utterly fabulous book where the girl doesn't really talk.

So this is where Maddy comes in, our mute, heartless girl. She is the centre of this story, the heart of it, despite having a heart herself. I loved Maddy's character! She was as real as I would imagine a mute person could get. Even though some incidents lead her to believe she isn't human (I don't want to spoil anything here), I think she was, in the end, more human than some humans I know. For me as a reader, I think what made her human was her confusion. She was a confused clay-girl that didn't know who to trust. One minute she was all for Jas, our hot stag (ahaha), than the next she was all for her brother Marcus (and sometimes William). So, even though she wasn't really human, she was still human to me for this reason. Even though the story isn't told in her perspective, I think readers will really enjoy hearing Maddy's "voice."

The setting for this book was so magical and vivid. Jodi has such marveling writing, I admit to re-reading certain paragraphs. Her world-building was incredible. And plus, by her descriptions, one would think it was very Victorian and vintage. I'm totally born in the wrong era (I love vintage) so Jodi won me over when I discovered this wasn't some modern-age fantasy. You don't quite know where the story takes place, usually at a house, or a forest, or even a castle, but just the vibe from this world that shun through her writing was magical. I love magical.

As a YA romance-ey loving-type-reader, I enjoyed the bits of romance in this. Of course there was some romance, but of course, Jodi completely went contrary to the norm. We have a mute girl, something I've personally never read in a book, and we have romance between sister and brother! But wait! It's not a gross thing once you read the book. Trust me. There are many surprises within this romance *wink wink wink* And also, we can't forget about our boy Jas *Swoons* He's a Titan (hence Titan Magic) and just totally swoon worthy (even though he's an animal for most of the book). I just think he was handsome. He really loved Maddy and did all he could to save her from being killed, by him! Can't tell me a man's not hot for trying not to kill you! Give the guy a break though. All in all, I'm hoping to see escalating romance between some characters in its sequel.

The verdict? Definitely worth the read, especially if you love fantasy and fairy tales.

My rating:
5 curly pig tails
Because this book was so different and unique

Angela

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titan Magic.

01/27/2012 page 180
02/13/2012 page 351
89.0% "Ah-mazing! Just amazing!!"