Anissa's Reviews > Filter

Filter by Gwenn Wright

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: series, gothic, kindle
Read in January, 2012

Fantastic read! I was all in with Katherine & Viktor from the beginning. I was annoyed at how often Katherine's physical frailty was referenced, especially by pain-in-the-tush sister, Henrietta because it was so clear that her spirit far exceeded any limitations her physical being held her to. I worried when Katherine worried that she'd never see Viktor again & I worried when it was evident that Viktor's father was a terrible sort & not good to his son at all. I have to admit that almost immediately took to our modern day girl Rocky. She had a wit & voice that came through quite clearly & I enjoyed the journey with her. I was glad when she escaped harrier moments & hoped for things to work out well. William was enigma enough that I was pulling for him & even felt sympathy for him being on the receiving end of the, not always deserved, sharper edge of Rocky's tongue.

Both heroines initially suffer a bit from some sort of ego malady that brings out their mean/snarky to guys they like & then they are more offended when the guy either takes it or doesn't. I think it's supposed to be endearing in its irrationality but I find it annoying IRL & in literature. At least with Rocky, she does, at times, acknowledge the idiocy of that particular trait. I also found Peter squickworthy from jump & was glad that Rocky had reservations but I was annoyed that even with her reservations she always kept leaving the door open for him, especially when it was usually because she didn't have William to do whatever it was that she wanted or it served her ego in some shallow way. But if she hadn't, there'd be less tension & this story gives that to spare. Anyway, the mystery of the families, what became of the daughters Demure, what's happened these six generations up to Rocky & how the odd Drexlers are connected (because we know it isn't just a legal thing) are what also lock you in to this story until the very last.

I gave 4 stars because the Kindle edition does need some cleaning up what with typos & errors here & there but that does not tarnish the plot & that's what keeps you tapping your Kindle for the next page. And now I must dash, I need to get on to the next book in the series. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Filter.