Magnus Itland's Reviews > Earth Is Not Alone

Earth Is Not Alone by John Knapp II

Feb 20, 12

Read from January 26 to February 20, 2012 — I own a copy

The 4th star given under doubt, but for a book that was obviously written by an amateur, this one really impressed me. The language was fluid and eager, helping to make this into a page-turner. We have a voice of a storyteller here - in fact, the book seems written for reading aloud. Names are easy to pronounce and remember. The mix of near-future science fiction and low-magic fantasy was done in an untraditional way, by making the fantasy appear as sub-stories within the sci-fi framework (but canonical within its context). Fair warning: The fantasy / historical fiction part makes up most of this first book. I would not want it otherwise.

"Earth Is Not Alone" is clearly intended as part of a series, and does not stand well on its own. This is generally frowned upon for a new series, not to mention new authors. This is a real detraction, especially since the sequel is nowhere in existence at this time.

The religious angle is likely to put off many readers: Some because of the overt Christian references clash with their own religion or lack thereof, others because they may view "Jesus in space" or "alternate Christs" as blasphemy. I did not mind, but this means you should consider that you may not enjoy the book as much as I did, depending on your attitude toward religion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth Is Not Alone.