Joshua's Reviews > Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions

Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions by Robert Asprin

Jul 13, 08

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy
Recommended for: Any one looking for a funny and simple diversion
Read in July, 2008

When Robert Aspirin passed away in May 2008, I decided to dig up his Myth series of books that I had lying around in boxes. Luckily, this book collects the first two books of the series in a handy and affordable package. With each book totaling roughly 200 pages, it was a quick read. So, what do I think of a book I've had for roughly 6 years and have only gotten around to with the passing of its author-- meh. Not bad, but not really all that great. Here's the low-down:

This is the story of a young apprenticing magician named Skeeve, whose mentor is murdered after casting a spell to summon a demon with no powers as a practical joke. Skeeve then sets off with the demon to find out who killed his mentor before they come back and finish the job with him.

Aspirin writes much in the vain of fantasy humorist such as Terry Pratchett, John Moore, and Piers Anthony. Out of all of them, I liken Aspirin's humor more towards John Moore, but less funny. He's not as brilliant as Pratchett, nor as pun-tastic as Anthony. Another Fine Myth/Myth Conceptions are both basically young adult fantasy books that are fun and forgettable. However, they were entertaining enough to prompt me to dig up and read Aspirin's Phule series one day. Thanks for the memories Robert. Like all writers, your words will continue on after you and hopefully those after will find your stories and find a smile on their faces as they read them. Truthfully, that's all any one can ask for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions.