Jessica Richards's Reviews > Which Side Are You On?: The Story of a Song

Which Side Are You On? by George Ella Lyon

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: group-2-books
Read in January, 2012

Which Side Are You on? The Story of a Song by George Ells Lyon is a wonderful book about the hardships of the life of a coal miner and his family in the rural Kentucky mountains. The book, written from the perspective of one of the miner's children, is filled with rich dialect and phrases that would be frequently used in the hills of the Appalachia. The illustrations on each page lend to the rough and hard times that the family experienced while living the life of a coal miners family. The pictures were constantly reminding you of the life that a coal miner would actually live from day to day. The constant battle between the coal owners, workers and the union makes for an exciting plot that keeps you wondering if dad will make it and keep his job as a coal miner or will the family be caught in the line of "the coal miners life".

I really liked this book because it allows children who maybe haven't experienced the life or heard about the life of a rural family in Kentucky see what their lives are really like. I think I would use this book in probably second or third grade. The reason that I would use this book in these grades is because they are capable of thinking about their lives and relating it to others lives where younger children aren't able to. This would be a good book for a lesson in history to discuss the different regions of people and how they live.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Which Side Are You On?.