Nicola 's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

I really did not know what to expect from this book. I was drawn in by the lovely cover and the description definitely intrigued me. The reviews I'd read hadn't made it look too promising though so I definitely went into it with a cautious mind and didn't expect too much from it. I was seriously delighted to find how much I loved it! I actually adored it from the start and knew it was my kind of thing after the first few chapters.

I am not that into Greek mythology, in general. I know bits and find it interesting but I am in no way well educated on it. The only other Greek myth books I've read were not ones I really enjoyed. This was so different though! I was just sucked right into Kate's world. Her mom is dying and her mother's last wish is to move to Eden, her hometown. So they pack up and head to this small town.

Kate's just trying to enjoy the little time she has left with her mom and has no time for friends or a social life. She has pushed the rest of the world out so that she can care for her mother. I'll admit that lately I've been getting a bit tired of YA book parents being dead or sick or absent but thankfully this situation turned out to be different than usual and I actually didn't see the twist coming at all!

I loved reading about Kate's time in Eden Manor. The concept of the Seven Tests was something that fascinated me as I always like plots like that. All the characters were so awesome though I'll admit Henry did irritate me at times! I get why he was acting like he was but I do think he's had long enough to come to terms with it, really! Kate went back and forth between being dependant and needy and definitely had a desire to play heroine to everyone around her. Which is understandable given that she had so little control over the rest of her life.

I was gripped by this whole book and I'm so glad to have found a series that I think I'll actually be able to follow through with for once! I am so excited about the second book and have really high hopes for it.

This review first appeared here on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

Quotes Nicola Liked

Aimee Carter
“Sometimes we misjudge what is possible and what is not.”

Aimee Carter
“Maybe you'll win when hell freezes over."

He raised an eyebrow.

"That could be easily arranged.”

Aimee Carter
“Whatever obstacles you face, remember you can get through anything if you want to badly enough.”

Aimee Carter
“This is the gate between the living and the dead", he said. "You are still living. The others on the grounds died very long time ago."

A chill ran through me. "And you?"

"Me?" The corner of his mouth twitched. "I rule the dead. I am not one of them”

02/03/2012 page 0
02/04/2012 page 100
34.0% 2 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Literary (new)

Literary You've made me want to read it.