Liss Capello's Reviews > Over Sea, Under Stone

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

Dec 08, 13

Read from December 06 to 08, 2013, read count: 1

I never have read any of this series before, although I attempted it abortively in high school. I'm not sure what the disconnect was - this time around I drank it dry, reveling in the Arthurian romance connotations and the purely childish mystery adventure plot which sees the three protagonists exploring low-tide caves, dusty attics, ancient standing stones, and more. I thought the writing was excellent and despite the fantasy elements the whole thing was exceptionally believable, with much less explicit magic than I was expecting. I found this refreshing and charming, since magic in children's adventure literature can be done well, but usually isn't. Despite not having read this as a child, it transported me back into my childhood self for several hours, and it was a joy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over Sea, Under Stone.

12/06/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/08/2013 page 125
63.0% "Loving it, this kind of thing is right up my alley. And not quite sure why I didn't get into it when I tried reading it as a teenager. I will admit, I was expecting it to veer more into magical territory and I'm fairly excited that it hasn't."
12/08/2013 marked as: read