Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson

1 cup steam punk
1 tablespoon of historical fiction
1 teaspoon contemporary
A dash of time travel

Mix all together at once, add a touch of magic, a gorgeous alpha male, a woman learning to stand on her own two feet, and you’ll have Wicked as They Come. I LOVED this book. I’ve been hesitant lately giving 5 stars since every time I give 5 stars, I want it really to be a step above all other books in its genre. Well there was NO hesitancy in my 5 star rating for this book. I feel in love with this book at page 10. Seriously. It was magic. It was like I was under a spell and I literally read this book slower than I needed to just because I did not want to end.

The Story

Tish’s life was just beginning. She left her abusive boyfriend, changed her address, was learning to be assertive, and was just learning what she wanted out of life. She was a nurse, dealing with terminally ill patients including her own grandmother. Tish is attracted to a locket at an estate sale from one of her former patients. She takes it home, and with a struggle, is able to open the locket. That evening, she goes to sleep with the locket close to her heart and with a sense of hope. She wakens to a fantasy world. This is not a regular fantasy but a steampunk Victorian bizarre circus type fantasy The problem is Tish thinks she is still dreaming. She almost immediately meets Criminy, a tall handsome man who tries to convince Tish that this is not a dream.

Criminy, my lovely Criminy. Besides being beautiful, alpha, and a magician, he’s also a bludman. A bludman in Sang (the world that Tish finds herself in) is like a vampire in our own world. Except bludman aren’t dead, don’t feel cold, they are just basically a different race that lives on blud (“blood”) instead of food. Criminy is in love with Tish from the very minute he meets her. He knows that Tish is perfect for him because he basically requested her when he made a bargain with a witch for his perfect woman. Tish is what came to his world so he knows she is the one. Tish is unsure of this so-called bludman but she knows she is attracted to him and his dangerous allure.

The story revolves around Tish’s growing relationship with Criminy, her fear of trusting Criminy because of what happened to her, Tish getting used to the world around her, Tish wanting to see her Grandmother again but not wanting to leave Criminy or this world. and finally a bad man that steals her locket and Criminy and Tish’s adventure in returning the locket. In other words, the plot IS the world. It’s not fast paced but perfect in its own right. The author immerses the reader slowly into the world, we discover everything right along with Tish and I felt like a kid at a fantasy show in Las Vegas. The characters are unique, the environment scary but intriguing, and the excitement of something new was as real for me as it was for Tish.

There are blud bunnies. Predators in Sang are completely different than what is in our world. There are Invisibility spells, love spells, and more but this is not a magic book. There is time traveling but it’s not a time traveling book. There are mermaids, lizard men, and a piano playing “stranger” but this is not a straight fantasy. In other words, this book is the perfect combination of a little bit of everything.

Overall

I can’t recommend this book enough. It’s like every genre I love so perfectly blended together. If you want to fall in love with two great characters plus an entire new world, this is your book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as They Come.

04/01/2012
14.0% "Holy crap, what a crazy, weird, twisted, unique start. I love it. Hardest thing to do...stop reading ." 10 comments
04/01/2012
14.0% "As much as I love the cover (it's so "wicked"ly appropriate), artist gave Criminy a crazy ass long right forearm!" 1 comment
04/02/2012
51.0% "OMG...just love this." 3 comments
04/02/2012
58.0% "How in the world will I ever explain this book? It is so damn unique. I actually slowed down so I could keep it going. I want some Criminy."
04/03/2012
68.0% "Holy submarine. hot.hot.hot."
04/03/2012
85.0% "Ok..when is the next book coming out? I love this world, these characters...I don't want to leave." 5 comments

message 1: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea oh man... I think you are going to like this one! I'm head over heels already!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Rebecca wrote: "oh man... I think you are going to like this one! I'm head over heels already!"

I think you are right!

Sherri I loved this one as well. One of the best of the year for me.

Jill Fantastic review Michelle. I loved this one too.
And that is a perfect picture of a Bludbunny. *shudders*

Shelley I got this as a birthday present and can't wait to read now that I've read this review. LOVE the rabbit!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Mary Elizabeth wrote: "goodness !! gr8 review Michelle :)"

Thank you Mary Elizabeth!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jill wrote: "Fantastic review Michelle. I loved this one too.
And that is a perfect picture of a Bludbunny. *shudders*"

can you believe I found a bludbunny on the web? It is true, you really can find ANYTHING on the internet!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "I got this as a birthday present and can't wait to read now that I've read this review. LOVE the rabbit!"

Oh I hope you love it Shelley!

message 9: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea I have the book as an ebook.. but I am seriously thinking of buying a physical copy.. I loved it that much.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Rebecca wrote: "I have the book as an ebook.. but I am seriously thinking of buying a physical copy.. I loved it that much."

I was thinking the same thing, just to share with my co-workers!

message 11: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Glad you liked it! I'm dying to read it :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Claudette wrote: "Glad you liked it! I'm dying to read it :)"

You should. It's so good!

message 13: by AH (new) - added it

AH Sounds great. Adding to the great Mountain of To-Read books.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Sounds great. Adding to the great Mountain of To-Read books."

lol... too many books, too little time.

message 15: by Cindyg (new) - added it

Cindyg Great review.
I have my copy I just have to fit it in to my schedule.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Cindyg wrote: "Great review.
I have my copy I just have to fit it in to my schedule."

I hope you love it Cindy. It's very different.

message 17: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Lovesrainbows Just really getting into it and loving it already. Thanks for the review! Made me sure I'm on the right track taking the time to read it! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Liz wrote: "Just really getting into it and loving it already. Thanks for the review! Made me sure I'm on the right track taking the time to read it! :)"

Glad you are liking it!