Ruth's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Jan 26, 2012

Read from January 26 to February 02, 2012

Ender's Game is a milestone in the science fiction genre, but not much else. I'll explain: to me, this book is still one that "deserves" to be read. As in, it will be one of those books which is still a great accomplishment in the science fiction genre. I like the fact that this book doesn't feel outdated when I read it. (It WAS published in the 1980s or something).

It's been difficult for me to process the fact that all the main characters for the majority of this book... are under fourteen. I just couldn't get my head clearly under the reality of the situation in which Ender, his siblings, and everyone else was placed in.

At the beginning of many chapters, the general and major would always discuss Ender, and you learn why Ender and all those children get sent to battle school. But what got old pretty fast was that the author seemed to think it was okay to put the good ol' excuse that all of this children-going-off-to-battle-school strategy was because the world was going to be invaded and ended and apocalypstic blah blah. It didn't explain how all these child prodigy little supermen could be produced, so fast. Orson Scott Card never justified his case. The case, in this case, is that the majority of the characters in the majority of Ender's Game are these really young kids who have learned to kill and terrorize. And there was never much explanation for how humanity got there. Yes, I understand there's "not much time left" and the buggers were coming soon, but why kids? Maybe it's just me.

At this point in my review, don't go all defensive, because I know Lord Of the Flies had a similar situation where young children turned savage and learned how to kill, but that was a way smaller situation in a way smaller setting and most of the boys' beastly behavior was due to natural psychological reasons. LOTF makes more sense to me than EG. Yes, LOTF is the first thing I thought of while reading EG.

The way the book was set up, with the human vs. buggers thing, was not one of my favorites. I wish the book weren't so straightforward about... well, everything. Plot-wise, I mean. To me, it was just, "Here is the plot. This is what is going to happen."

I liked Ender, he was a really... cool character. Orson Scott Card did a great job of characterization here, Ender was a really uniquely created character. But again, I feel that it would have been perfect were he older to begin with.

There was a lot of significant symbolism both figuratively, and literally speaking, in this book. I didn't like much of it, I really did not like the way humanity was portrayed here. It bugs me that the buggers never got their case justified. No pun intended. Also, why there are sequels to this book is a mystery to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

01/27/2012 page 100
02/01/2012 page 290
90.0% "I'm going to be so sad when I finish this."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Halee Love that book! :)

message 14: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth I LOVE IT TOO. AND THEY"RE MAKING IT INTO A MOVIE OH MY SASDFKJASLD;JFAL;SD.

Schuyler Esperanza One of my favorite books ever! So excited about the movie, too! :D

Halee Ik! So excited for the movie!

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen This is an awesome book! LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. I might actually marry it.

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth It's good, but there is some stuff that bugs me. I think I may die if I find out there are sequels.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen There are like 10 books in the whole Ender universe. In fact, one just came out this January.

Matt I feel dumb-dumb because I haven't read it yet D:

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Yes. You need to read it Nexx.
I love the tactics used in this book. It kind of made mee feel incompetent for not being able to think of them and a kid can.

I know you said you've tried to you it but never got into it, I really think it gets better as the battles actually begin. I did however enjoy the games Ender plays with the giant and snake etc.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen affect the most innocent of people.

Matt Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "affect the most innocent of people."

LOL what?

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Okay. Goodread messed up my comment. :O what I was trying to say was the reason many of the main characters are very young is to show how the enviroment can affect the most innocent of people. This is also what Michael Grant and William Golding was trying to show with their books. How children are not always as pure are we preceive them to be.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen I think I might delete that comment. Haha. It makes me sound like: "I'm just going to pop in here and say some random thing."

Justin LOL.

Matt Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "Okay. Goodread messed up my comment. :O what I was trying to say was the reason many of the main characters are very young is to show how the enviroment can affect the most innocent of people. This..."

Haha, don't worry, that's a very good point.