Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Northern Lights

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

Jul 07, 07

bookshelves: fantasy, favourites, owned-physical-book, 2005, 5-stars, read-in-a-day
Read in December, 2005

I'd read the first of these a couple of years ago, and thought it good but nothing special. I only got about 30 pages into "The Subtle Knife" though - I don't understand it now, but back then I simply found it boring, and couldn't be bothered reading on. Lately, several people have recommended it to me, so when I found all three at the library just before Christmas, I thought I'd check them out and give them another chance.... and ended up finishing them in 5 days total! Granted, the fact that DH was sick and we therefore didn't do much some of those days, may have had something to do with it ;-) Regardless, I loved them! I still think the first one is the best of the three, but they're all well worth reading. I think this will be one of the series that go on my 'To reread' list. I wasn't too impressed with the fact that church+Christianity=bad and anything anti that=good, but it soon became apparent that Philip Pullman has a very twisted view of Christianity, and after that I was mostly able to ignore it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northern Lights.