Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Rilla of Ingleside

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery

Jul 03, 2007

bookshelves: classics, anne, owned-physical-book, 2006, 5-stars, 2011, 2013, books-that-made-me-cry
Read from May 20, 2011 to June 14, 2013 , read count: 9

PSA: Apparently, the Bantam edition of this is abridged - with some 4500 words having been left out from the original. The Gutenberg edition should be complete though.

Again, not an "Anne"-book as such, as the focus is definitely on Rilla. Still, one can forgive LMM for that, as it's still mostly about Anne's children, and because it's such an excellent portrayal of life in rural Canada during WW1. Knowing that LMM went through much of this herself lends it a credence and authenticity I haven't found elsewhere.

It's been quite awhile since I last cried that much over a book - my husband got rather concerned at times! - but it's a beautiful and, despite its sadness, hopeful book. I do wish LMM had stuck to her guns and kept the original title though. I by far prefer Rilla-My-Rilla!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rilla of Ingleside.

06/08/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/14/2013 marked as: read

Kristen Wait, what? My well-loved 1980-something copy is abridged? *horror*

Maria Elmvang Most likely. Some over-zealous editor went through the 1976 edition and removed quite a bit, and unfortunately told nobody, so those are the plates most often used by Bantam. I have a Bantam edition as well, and was shocked to discover this :( But very relieved to find that the Gutenberg is complete, so I still have access to the complete version :)

I found the information here.

Susan I'm glad I've downloaded the Gutenberg, then! It ought to be even better with another 4500 words.

Kristen And so it appears mine is missing most of the abridgements. ARGH. Oh dear, whatever shall I do, I'll just have to buy the new version! ;) (But...it won't match the rest of my Anne set! After I finally got my hands on a matching Anne of Ingleside less than 10 years ago!)

message 5: by Mhgoblue (new)

Mhgoblue I have never, NEVER cried over a book the way I cried over this one. It's the saddest thing I've ever read. I sobbed for the rest of the day.