Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Cross My Heart

Feb 18, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-reviewed, comtemporary-challenge-2012
Read from January 31 to February 02, 2012

Also posted on: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/

The plot was nothing special. Good girl meets bad boy. Good girl starts falling in love. Everyone hates bad boy for his reputation. Yeah yeah, we know what happens. You think Cross My Heart will be just like any other YA contemporary romance girl-meets-boy story? Well. You are SO wrong. Cross My Heart is a fantastic, coming-of-age story with relatable characters and a super smart plot twist that I definitely did not see coming.

First. Let's talk about characters. I could totally relate to Jaden. She's very focused, perfectionist and is "safe and boring". She doesn't do stuff that would make her parents shaker their heads at her, or her brothers scolding her. She's got big dreams for the future. And she's perfect - got perfect grades, perfect friends, even the perfect boyfriend. She was clearly contented with her life. Until. She got paired with Parker Whalen for a school English project. Let me say that I really like Jaden, and her interactions with her family, especially with her two slightly older brothers, are spot on. Her problems and emotions were real, and as you read, you can see that she's got many insecurities and flaws that maker her the perfect female character.

Parker Whalen was exactly what every other YA angsty boy should be. He is mysterious, smart and secretive. I really don't want to say this but he was just okay. I was expecting a bit more - more of him, more of their chemistry, more of sexual tension. And I did feel like their romance was a little bit rushed, which as you know, is a MAJOR book pet peeve of mine. Argh. Anyway, moving on.

Can we talk about THAT plot twist? Nuh uh. Totally not expecting that AT ALL. I did know that there was going to be this 'massive' plot twist and my brain was busy guessing (wrong) stuff. And never in a million years, I would have thought about that. It's not amazing or anything, just predictable. The more I think about it, the more it actually makes sense. And now I'm wondering why I never thought of that.

Overall, if you enjoy reading contemporary romance, then I would recommend Cross My Heart.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross My Heart.

02/01/2012 page 80