Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Dune

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: owned-audiobook, 4-stars, 2009, fantasy, sci-fi
Recommended to Maria M. by: Claus
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

I first started reading Dune in February 2007, but got stuck about 70-100 pages into it, and left it hanging. I always planned to finish it someday though, but just couldn't bring myself to pick it up again. Finally, last month I felt that it was time to finish it, and as I'd just found it as an audiobook, I thought I would try that way of getting through it instead.

Honestly, I don't think it's the book most suited for audio presentation, and I would probably have liked it better if I'd read it rather than listened to it, but this way I got through it, discovered that I enjoyed it, and am therefore more likely to pick it up again at a later stage.

I enjoyed all the characterizations and the intrigues. I did think that perhaps Paul was a bit of a Gary Stu in that he was constantly able to do everything he set out to, and that the ending was a bit abrupt, but when looking at the big picture, that didn't bother me. I appreciated that Frank Herbert didn't pull any punches, but killed off people I hadn't expected him to.

I got the audiobook from Audible.co.uk. It was read by (I think) 5 different people, which worked well, once I got far enough into the book to know the voices and tell them apart. Until then I would rather have had just one narrator and more of "he said", "she said".

But definitely a great book, and I'd recommend it to others who enjoy a good fantasy/sci-fi mix.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.